MSK FCPs are highly experienced and are able to assess, diagnose, treat and manage patients with MSK issues. FCPs are mainly Extended Scope Physiotherapists (ESP) which are advanced physiotherapists with many years of experience.
MSK FCPs are offered as a better alternative to seeing your GP for MSK conditions. Our service aims to improve your access to the Right Care, at the Right Time, from the Right Clinician. Early specialist assessment with advice has been proven to enhance patient recovery and self-management.
The benefits of the MSK FCPs
- Typically will be seen quicker than a GP appointment
- Faster access to Musculoskeletal care
- Longer more in-depth appointments (20 minutes not 10)
- Reduced referrals to other NHS departments (GP into Physio)
- MSK FCPs have direct referral access to tests such as Xray/ ultrasounds where needed
- Patients aged 18 or over.
- An MSK problem which you are not already under active treatment for
- MSK conditions such as
- Soft tissue/Muscle/Tendon/Ligament strains/sprains.
- Joint pain/injury.
- Acute flare up of a long-term condition.
- Back/Neck Pain.
- Postural Pain/Problems.
- Minor Trauma (Falls / Sports injuries).
The service is inappropriate for you if you have any of the red flag conditions as well as your MSK concern
- Weight loss
- Previous history of cancer
- Violent trauma
- Saddle anaesthesia (loss of sensation of the buttocks, perineum or thighs)
- Difficulty in micturition (abnormalities with the process of urinating)
- Progressive neurology
- Systemic steroid use