A GP appointment is not what you need!
What is the Minor Eye Conditions Service?
The Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS) provides assessment and treatment for people with recently occurring minor eye problems. It is an NHS service provided by accredited optometrists (also commonly called opticians).
What Conditions Can Be Treated by the Service?
If you are experiencing:
- Red eye or eyelids
- Dry, gritty or uncomfortable eyes
- Eye irritation and inflammation
- A lot of recent discharge from the eye or watery eye
- Recently occurring flashes or floaters
- Painful eye
- Ingrowing lashes
- Recent and sudden loss of vision
- Foreign body in the eye
…you can arrange an appointment with an optometrist through the Minor Eye Conditions service.
Who Is The Service For?
The service is for people of all ages. Children under 16 years must be accompanied at their appointment by an adult. You do not need a GP referral to use this service.